Razia got a 7.0 band in IELTS Writing

 Razia got a 7.0 band 

Dear Ms. Rose,

I am writing to thank you for the lost blue Gucci handbag you couriered to my house address on the 15th of March.



Fortunately, it was your café near the airport where I forgot my bag. Actually, I had decided to relax with a cup of coffee a few minutes before my plane took off. Had I realized my mistake even a few minutes before boarding, I would have surely come back for it. I cannot begin to express how delighted I was to have received it within one week of losing it.

Needless to say, this bag holds great sentimental value for me because it is a gift from my late grandmother on my 20th birthday. Even though she is no longer with me, this present makes me feel otherwise. That is why it is very precious to me. Now I hope you must have understood why it is the most valuable thing I own. Had I not found it, it would have been the greatest loss of my life.



Please allow me to express how grateful I am by accepting this wristwatch as a token of my appreciation.

kind regards

Razia

Reasons for getting a band score of 7.0:

Estimated Band score:


Task Achievement

8.0 band 


All bullet points are fully covered: 


Such as thanking the manager, 

explaining why the handbag is important, and offering a gift as appreciation.


Coherence & Cohesion

7.0

A well organized letter with clear paragraphing. 

However, the only weakness is: 

A few sentences could be linked more naturally.


Lexical Resource 7.5:


A good range of vocabulary such as couriered, sentimental value, delighted, token of my appreciation, and Needless to say.


Grammatical Range & Accuracy

6.5:

Some complex structures have been used,  but there are several grammatical errors throughout the letter.



Overall estimated band: 7.0


This letter could have reached a  Band 8 if the following mistakes were fixed: 


❌ on 15th of March ✅ on the 15th of March

❌ your cafe near airport ✅ your café near the airport

❌ a cup of coffee few minutes before ✅ a cup of coffee a few minutes before

❌ Had I realized my mistake even few minutes before boarding 

✅ Had I realised my mistake even a few minutes before boarding

❌ her presence make me feel otherwise 

✅ her presence makes me feel as though she is still with me

❌ Please allow me to express how grateful I am by accepting this watch ✅ Please allow me to express my gratitude by accepting this watch as a token of my appreciation.


Strong points of this letter:


1. Appropriate formal tone throughout.

2. Good paragraphing.

3. Wide range of vocabulary.

4. Attempts complex grammar, including conditional structures.

5. The letter feels sincere and relevant to the task.



After correcting only the grammar (without changing the ideas): Band 8.0–8.5

This is a solid response. The biggest obstacle to Band 8 is not vocabulary or task completion—it's grammatical accuracy. Reducing those recurring grammar mistakes would significantly increase the score.

+92-333-3665004
+92-300-2138070

If you think it could benefit others, share it on 

( Facebook/Instagram/ Twitter)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sumaiya got( 9+9+7.5+7.0=overall 8.0 band)she was about to reach a band 8.0 in writing

How Mahad got 8.0 band in (Academic) IELTS

Fuzail achieved L:8.5, R:7.5, W:7.5, S: 7.0, Overall: 7.5